02 03 A Vintage Farmwife: Since This is the Time of Year for Reading.... 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Since This is the Time of Year for Reading....

34

....this makes even me, a book-lover from start to finish, giggle.


You are probably way too busy making delicious cookies, throwing and attending festive holiday parties, and elaborately wrapping gifts to have any time to read right now. But, I want to share a few titles with you that you might want to consider for the snowing winter nights ahead of us.

Last January, I set a goal of reading 52 books this years. Unfortunately, I immediately forgot to record the titles as I finished them. That is the way I roll.

In July, I discovered Evernote and have been writing titles down as I finish them. Some of them were really good and some were obviously forgettable since I have no recollection of a thing about them!

Best Books of 2013

Historical Fiction:

I wrote about my "avoidance" of Holocaust fiction here, but I just can't seem to stay away from it. It finds its way in my hands over and over. 



I really, really enjoyed Margot, the fictional story of Anne's older sister. I taught The Diary of Anne Frank every year to my 8th grade students, and every time I read the play, I wondered about Margot. She seemed such a non-event in Anne's opinion, but I always wanted to know more about her. I guess I'm not the only one! In this story, she obviously survives the Holocaust and winds up in Philadelphia. It was very interesting to imagine the impact of all her past experience on the rest of her life.

Most Thought-Provoking:

My Holy Yoga buddy, Sue Bidstrop, recommended this book on her blog, and I downloaded it immediately. I was a little puny that day, so I sat down and read the whole thing in a matter of hours. It was that good. The subject matter is very intense, but is written in a way that the reader is able to bear it and keep reading. I think the audience for the book is probably high school, but this long-way-from-high-school reader loved it! It will make you consider your death and how you are living your life. Told you it was deep.



Weirdest Book:

I grabbed this book to read while I was sitting in the hospital with a family member. I admit that half-way through I almost abandoned it, but I am glad that I finished it. I'm not sure how this book would be classified-sort of science fiction meets realistic fiction. 



What made this book interesting to me was that the characters were so quirky! I am a big fan of quirky. It explores what happens when two very intelligent and high functioning people with autism or aspergers marry. I found it fascinating even though the whole outer space/astronaut angle was kind of out of my interest zone.

Wow! This is getting longer than I intended, so I am going to make this a two-parter. More of my favorites coming up soon.

So, friends, what books were your favorite of 2013? I'd love to know!


Photobucket

Linking up to....
Imparting Grace

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38