1. In a small bowl, combine the teaspoon of sugar and the yeast with the warm water and allow to foam (5-10 minutes).
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the warm milk, melted butter, sugar, egg and salt. Add the yeast mixture and stir.
3. Stir in 3 cups of flour. Stir or knead in another cup of flour (or more, if needed) and knead for 5-10 minutes to make a smooth, elastic dough.
4. Scrape the large mixing bowl clean (or as clean as possible) and place dough in the bowl. Grease the top of the dough with butter or oil and cover with a clean cloth. Place in a warm location (I turn the oven on for 1-2 minutes, then turn OFF and place covered bowl in the warm oven to rise) and let rise until doubled in size, about 60-90 minutes.
5. Liberally butter a 12-cup muffin pan. With buttery hands, deflate the dough and divide into 24 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Place two balls in each muffin cup. Gently grease the tops and cover with a clean towel.
6. Let rolls rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in size, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake rolls for 20-25 minutes, until tops are browned and rolls are done. (Check rolls after 15 minutes, and cover loosely with foil to prevent excess browning, if needed.)
Toss hot rolls and serve with butter, honey, and/or sorghum molasses!